City of Central Falls Job Posting
Central Falls Fire Department
150 Illinois Street, Central Falls, Rhode Island 02863
Central Falls Fire Department $83,468/year
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Fire Chief, while modeling professional behaviors, desirable work ethic, and superior skills in the area of fire suppression and prevention, serves as the executive head of the Fire Department and is directly responsible for proper and efficient operations. The Fire Chief is responsible for the supervision, regulation, and management of the department and its staff, and administration of the Emergency Medical Services program. The Fire Chief exercises control over fire investigations and inspections, as well as trainings on fire safety, protection, and extinguishment.
- Receives general administrative direction from the Mayor
- Exercises direct supervision over sworn and non-sworn Fire Department staff
- Develops, plans, implements, and administers department goals and objectives, as well as
policies and procedures necessary to provide assigned fire suppression, prevention, and
- Provides direction to fire personnel in the administration of the Emergency Medical
- Directs the development and administration of the Fire Department’s budget, directs the
forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment materials, and supplies, and
- Works with fund developer to identify and apply for relevant grants to acquire reliable,
consistent, and ongoing funding for the Fire Department
- Coordinates department activities with other departments, outside agencies and organizations
- Conducts and participates in staff meetings and attends and participates in professional group meetings
- Attends training seminars to stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of fire suppression and prevention
- Establishes and monitors employee performance objectives, prepares and presents employee performance reviews, and coordinates staff trainings
- Implements discipline procedures including employee terminations and works with employees to correct deficiencies
- Works with the City’s Fund Developer to identify and apply for local and federal grants
- Processes injury and exposure reports and responds to personnel requests
- Reviews and submits reports to the National Fire Protection Association
- Responds to major fire alarms and personally direct fire suppression activities
- Performs emergency fire inspections
- Recommends new ordinances related to fire protection
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Fire Science, or related field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- Executive Fire Officer Certification from a National Fire Academy preferred
- NFPA Certified Fire Inspector I certification, or willingness to complete certification
program within first year of employment
- Ten (10) years of experience in progressively responsible supervisory and management
positions within a fire department
- Valid unrestricted RI driver’s license
PREFERENCE IN HIRING WILL BE GIVEN TO:
- City of Central Falls Residents
- Bilingual applicants who can demonstrate fluency in a second language as spoken by at
least 10% of Central Falls City residents, as determined by the United States Census
- Military members/veterans
Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex materials. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of municipal officials, businesses, and the general public. Fluency
in a second language spoken by a sizeable portion of the city, such as Spanish or Portuguese, strongly preferred.
Ability to organize time, work independently, and accomplish tasks despite frequent interruptions; ability to maintain detailed statistics and records; ability to deal effectively and tactfully with the public and all municipal officials; ability to maintain confidential information; ability to compose correspondence and to prepare, type, and proofread reports as to form and logic flow; ability to communicate effectively.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Duties may require an employee to work under extreme weather conditions and may be exposed to hazardous work environments and personal danger. Exposures may include, but are not limited to, extreme heat or cold, ran, snow, ice, pollutants, odors and fluids. Position may require the individual to work under various physically demanding conditions and requires the individual to maintain adequate physical conditioning and abilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit while performing office duties. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Central Falls is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Read the City’s full nondiscrimination policy here: http://www.centralfallsri.us/nondiscrimination
Application and resume can be submitted through the following:
- In person or by mail to 580 Broad Street, Central Falls, RI 02863 Attn: Human Resources
- Email: email@example.com.
Applications can be found on our website at www.centralfallsri.us under Human Resources/Employment.
Closing Date: Open until filled